Friday, February 20, 2009

Democrats, Ethics, who can we trust

This article points out that Democrats are running into ethical problems, much like Republicans prior to the 2006 election in which the GOP lost the majorities.

This has been a hard lesson for me over the years. I used to get behind certain candidates and political leaders much like many people got behind Obama recently--like this person is going to bring some kind of salvation to our nation.

Now, I have learned that politicians are mere mortals, people who struggle with the same issues I struggle with, and have the same imperfections I have. They are generally not worthy of that level of trust or hope. Those who put their trust in politicians will largely be disappointed and disillusioned. There are things worthy of this level of hope and trust. I just don't think you will find them in Washington D.C.

3 comments:

Edward Lu said...

you know, i keep wishing for one that will someday be trustworthy whether he/she be Republican or Democrat.

Jared Kasparian said...

Mr. Schmus is right, as always. You will not find them in Washington DC. You can however, find them in Washington, George Washington that is. The reason why I passionatly support polititians, such as Mitt Romney, is because I'm looking for a modern day Washington, someone human, but with almost divine characteristics. My expectations are high and consequentaly I've been met with disappointment. The problem is I refuse to beleive noble politicians are extinct.

dschmus said...

Romney ran as a social liberal to win MA governor, then ran as a religious right conservative to try to win the GOP nomination. Smart politics, but I think his nobility is yet to be determined.

Ultimately, you just cannot put your hope in other people. For example, I love my wife, and put great hope in her for the future. But I also know that she will disappoint me and I will disappoint her, profoundly in some ways.

There is a source of a perfect hope, but again, you won't find it in another person.